Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH)
The Virginia Medicaid agency is seeking input from our providers and stakeholders through a Health Information Technology Environmental Scan (Health IT eScan) to help us document current health care technology and data-sharing assets and progress, and to evaluate future needs.
The Health IT eScan is part of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Promoting Interoperability (PI) Program, established by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act. The goal of the Promoting Interoperability Program is to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of patient health care through electronic health records.
DMAS is required to conduct the Health IT eScan and complete a final update to the State Medicaid Health IT Plan (SMHP). DMAS has asked Myers and Stauffer LC to conduct this Health IT eScan on our behalf.
In the coming weeks Myers and Stauffer LC will contact some of our Medicaid stakeholders and ask them to participate in interviews, discovery sessions, or a survey to inform Virginia’s health IT strategy and future direction. The 2021 Virginia Health IT Provider Survey is now available.
Your input will help:
- Meet CMS requirements for the eScan and SMHP.
- Document the current health care technology and data-sharing landscape within the Commonwealth.
- Illustrate the progress from inception of the PI program to today.
- Inform priorities and decision-making by the Medicaid agency on health IT and data-sharing initiatives.
- Identify areas of opportunity to ensure continued progress toward interoperability in the Commonwealth.