As of January 1, 2023, Virginia Medicaid members are part of Cardinal Care - a single system of care for all of our 2 million members. Cardinal Care connects members to the care that they need when they need it and reduces transitions between programs as their health care needs evolve. All managed care and fee-for-service Medicaid members are part of the Cardinal Care program. Cardinal Care continues to offer members the same programs and services and does not reduce or change any existing coverage. The Medicaid fee-for-service program will continue to serve newly enrolled members for a short time as well as those with limited health coverage. Members can use their blue-and-white Medicaid ID cards, or green-and-white Plan First ID cards until they receive a Medicaid Fee-for-Service card with the Cardinal Care logo. Both the old and the new cards are accepted by Medicaid providers.
On October 1, 2023, Virginia Medicaid consolidated the two managed care programs of Medallion 4.0 and Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus (CCC Plus) into Cardinal Care Managed Care (CCMC).
Members in managed care can keep their health plan and do not need to take any action to enroll in Cardinal Care Managed Care. Care coordination will be available to all managed care members, as needed. Health plans issued new Cardinal Care ID cards in 2023.
What you need to do:
Your transition to Cardinal Care is automatic, as long as you are a current, eligible Medicaid member. You can help ensure a smooth transition by taking the following steps:
- Make sure your contact information is current with Virginia Medicaid. Update your phone number and mailing address by:
- Going online to commonhelp.virginia.gov,
- Calling Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282, or
- Calling your local Department of Social Services. Visit the Virginia Department of Social Services website to search for your local agency’s number.
- Contact your managed care organization to update your contact information as well.
Talk with your health provider and/or your health plan if your health needs change. Cardinal Care is here to support you and all of your health care needs!